Careers at CCFE
Do you want to help shape the future of the world's energy? If so, Culham Centre for Fusion Energy is the place to be and we can offer a range of career opportunities. These include scientific and engineering roles, as well as technical and administrative positions supporting our research programme.
We have professionally accredited training schemes for graduate engineers and apprentices, and strong links with universities around the UK for PhD placements, as well as job vacancies for various positions when they occur, working in a friendly international environment. Click here for a full list of the benefits of working at CCFE.
Why work at Culham? Click below to watch a video message from Professor Steve Cowley, Head of CCFE.
CCFE is recruiting to a wide range of scientific, engineering and technical posts to enable us to meet the growing demands of our challenging European and UK fusion energy programmes. We are also seeking new talent to help us diversify our activities to support future fusion reactors and the UK's science and technology plans.
We therefore welcome applications for these positions and, if we don't have a vacancy immediately, we will keep your CV on file and contact you when we do. We are an equal opportunity employer and actively encourage applications from women to enable them to pursue rewarding careers in the science and technology field. Enthusiasm, an open mind and ability to learn are the most important assets. We will train suitable applicants who have transferable skills but who have not had experience in the nuclear industry.
We have requirements for graduate and post-doctoral engineers, scientists and technologists in the following fields:
- Project and project engineering management;
- Systems integration;
- Mechanical including remote operations, fabrication technology development and building services;
- Electrical including power conversion, automation, control and instrumentation and computing systems (more information);
- Materials and metallurgy;
- Analysts including function and performance evaluations using advanced and coupled techniques;
- Process and chemical;
- CAD including management, technical configuration and designers.
(Chartered status would be an advantage.)
We have requirements for technicians in the following areas:
- Electrical (more information);
- Electronic (more information);
- Control and instrumentation and diagnostics.
Design Office / Drawing Office staff, preferably with Catia and / or Autocad skills. (EngTech registered time served and/or with Apprenticeship / NVQ, C&G, ONC, HNC qualifications would be an advantage.)
We also require IT professionals and software engineers.
Contract engineering opportunities at CCFE
Click on this link to view the latest contract opportunities at our supply partner, Rullion Engineering.
Click on this link to view the latest contract opportunities at our supply partner, Morson Group.
- Careers at CCFE
- Job vacancies
- Speculative enquiries
- PhD and MSc opportunities
- Fusion research fellowships
- Graduate recruitment
- IET Power Academy
- Work experience
- Student short-term placements
- Partner vacancies
- Career profiles