Special Techniques Group
Culham's Special Techniques Group is a highly-skilled material joining facility with more than 40 years of experience as an integral part of the UK nuclear fusion research programme. It also offers a service to other areas of science and to industry.
Faced with the unique technical challenges posed by such research, Special Techniques has developed substantial experience and expertise in the field of material joining. The facility has a wide range of processing equipment upon which fusion scientists and engineers have come to rely.
Special Techniques has developed sound working relationships with many other areas of research and industry in providing a range of products and services that satisfy their stringent quality requirements.
The facility can offer:
- A ‘one-stop shop', from offering advice and consultancy through to the design and manufacture of a wide range of scientific and technical items;
- A range of processing techniques using air and vacuum furnaces, brazing, welding and diffusion bonding equipment;
- Guidance at an early conceptual stage of a project on the possible methods of manufacturing and processing, enabling significant cost savings;
- A well-equipped ‘special purposes' workshop at Culham.
These resources and expertise mean that Special Techniques can offer a fast and efficient service. Please browse these pages and contact us if you would like to know more.
- Fusion and industry
- Special Techniques Group
- Technology services
- EASY-II European Activation SYstem